Last Updated on:
Amazingly flavorful sun-dried tomato sauce with a delicious pan-seared chicken is a fantastic meal that you can’t resist. Making varieties of food is very satisfying when you do it with love and for your family or friends. If you love to prepare great meals with the dried vegetables, then this is the right place for you. In this article, we will show you how to make a perfect chicken with dried tomato sauce and amaze just about anyone. It is not an ordinary chicken dish, but we must say that it is way better. You will want to skip the meat and eat the sauce with the spoon because it is just great! For a quick weeknight dinner, you can never have too many easy chicken recipes. The best thing about this meal is that it has that delicious and bright Italian flavor, that everyone will love and requesting more. Mixing the basil, parmesan, cream, shallot/garlic and the sun-dried tomatoes is extraordinary!
Now Making your own dried tomatoes can be easy if you have or purchase a quality dehydrator. They will taste far better than anything you can buy in the store, and you will see that they are an excellent addition to this meal. Keep reading to know more about the sun dried tomato chicken recipe.
How to Make Homemade Sun-Dried Tomatoes
1. Select the tomatoesThe first thing you need to do is to pick the high-quality tomatoes, so you get the best results from drying. The best ones to dry are Roma as they have meatier, thicker walls, and fewer sides. Also, pay attention not to choose the rotten, bruised and mushy ones.
2. Remove the Skin from TomatoSome people prefer them without skin, others with it. If you want to remove it, you need to place them in a large bowl and pour boiling water over them. Hold them for one minute and then place them in another bowl with the cold water. It will make the skin crack and slide right off this plant.
3. Cut the Tomato in Half and Remove Tough Parts, BruisesTake the tomato and cut in half. Remove the soft and bruised parts, and cut out those pieces around the stems that are tough. You can get 4 lengthwise quarters when cutting the tomato in half. They will shrink up to ¼ from their original size.
4. Remove the SeedsThe Roma type doesn’t have many seeds, but if you are using some other kind of tomatoes just scoop them with the nudge from your finger or with a spoon.
5. Dry the TomatoesDry them in a good-quality dehydrator. On each tray arrange the pieces, so that doesn’t touch each other. It is essential that air circulates appropriately and dry each tomato equally. If you want, you can use some salt, sea salt or kosher salt and some spices. Turn on the dehydrator and set the temperature at 140 degrees F. Leave them to dehydrate for about three to eight hours. They should be like a raisin, should be flexible, not brittle, when they are done.
6. Store themLeave the dried tomatoes at the room temperature to cool for about twenty to thirty minutes. After that, fill the Zipper-type bags with them. Don’t forget to leave a little room when you are packing the tomato, so there is room for expansion. Store the bags in a freezer, and they will last for about nine to twelve months, retaining their flavor and color. You can also put it in a fridge, but there it will only last for a couple of weeks. Make sure that you squeezed all the excess air, and check it regularly in the first week to see if there is any condensation in the bags. If there is, remove the fruit from it, place it in the food dehydrator and continue drying them until they are done.
How to Make Chicken with Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce
- Eight chicken thighs, skin-on, bone-in
- Freshly ground black pepper and kosher salt
- Three tbsp. divided, unsalted butter
- Three minced garlic cloves
- Red pepper flakes, ¼ tsp
- Chicken broth, one cup
- Heavy cream, ½ cup
- Sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil, 1/3 cup, drained
- Freshly grated Parmesan, ¼ cup
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- Basil leaves, chiffonade, ¼ cup
- ¼ tsp dried basil
Set the oven to the 400 degrees F. Use the pepper and salt to season the chicken. In a large oven-proof skillet, melt two tbsp. butter over medium-high heat. Place the chicken and fry, about two to three minutes, until both sides are golden brown.
In the skillet, melt the rest of the butter. Add the pepper flakes and garlic and continue cooking for about one to two minutes, until fragrant. Don’t forget to stir frequently. After that stir in basil, oregano, thyme, Parmesan, sun-dried tomatoes, heavy cream and chicken broth.
When it starts boiling, lower the temperature and simmer for about three to five minutes, until slightly thickened. The next thing is to place the chicken back to the skillet. Put it into oven and roast about 25 to 30 minutes, when it reaches an internal temperature of 175 degrees F until it is cooked thoroughly.
IF you want, use basil to garnish the dish. It is best to serve immediately.
Nutritional Value of Tomato
“Tomatoes are the major dietary source of the antioxidant lycopene, which has been linked to many health benefits, including reduced risk of heart disease and cancer. They are also a great source of vitamin C, potassium, folate and vitamin K.” according to Health Line.
If you want to amaze your family with a delicious and easy to make lunch or dinner, then the chicken with sun-dried tomato sauce is a perfect choice to serve them. With our guide and fantastic recipe, you will make this dish easy and quickly as a chef. It is one of our favorite meals, and we are more than sure that you will love it too! Bon appetite!