As you already know, some recipes that involve any food dehydration are completed in the dehydrator itself, while some use ingredients that are already dried. In our opinion, the second ones are the far tastier, and the tuna fish soup is right there among them. It is an excellent dish, a delicious combination of both the fresh and the dried components, and something that you should learn to make yourself. You’ve probably heard about the fact that eating fish is very healthy, and eating it once a week is certain to bring your body exactly what it needs. This is just another plus for this soup, so if you were searching for a recipe that will give use to your dehydrator and bring you some healthy food as well – look no further.
Let’s take a look at the necessary ingredients, as well as the instructions on preparing:
- Dehydrated celery and onion (1/4 cup)
- Dried brown potatoes (1/2 cup)
- Dehydrated garlic (2 slices)
- Fish stock (4 cups)
- Two 5-oz. Cans of tuna
- Two 14.5-oz Cans of tomato
- Half a teaspoon of dried Thyme
- White pepper and salt
1. Some half an hour before you start making this tasty soup you will need to take all the dehydrated ingredients from the list above and place them into two cups of stock, and allow them to rehydrate. This, as you might have guessed, will also fill the stock with the taste of those very same ingredients.
2. Once these vegetables are hydrated and soft to touch, and the stock has changed its color, it’s time to put this mix in the saucepan, along with the rest of the (now colored) stock. Once it starts boiling, you should reduce the heat and simmer this interesting mixture for around ten minutes.
3. This is where we add the remaining ingredients. We will, of course, add the tuna first. If your tuna came in water, you can pour the whole content of the can into the saucepan, and if it came bathed in oil – add just a half of that oil. Take a knife and dice the tomatoes (to achieve a better texture of the dish, the tomatoes have to be diced) and add them to the mixture, and then insert the seasonings to your liking.
4. The final step is to let the whole thing simmer for five more minutes. During that time, be sure to taste the dish to know if it needs any salt since the fish stock and the tuna already brought some salt into it.
And there it is, your tasty tuna fish soup is ready for consumption!
A variation with the paprika
If you like it when the things are a bit spicier, you should try to make this interesting variation of the usual tuna soup. All that you have to do here is to omit the tomatoes and replace them with just a single tablespoon of smoked paprika.
Also, be sure to use the entire amount of oil that comes in the can with the tuna, and you’ll have a perfect, spicy meal!
The tuna fish soup is a delicious dish, very simple to make and above all – it’s healthy. The best thing about it is that you probably already have all the ingredients in your refrigerator, and you can even change the recipe by changing some of the vegetables that we mentioned – it will still turn out great.
A word of advice – serve it together with a cup of rice, and a glass of Merlot.