If you are looking to make some delicious snacks for your family, then you are in the right place. Your children will love these homemade banana chips. We all love this amazing fruit that is delicious and nutritious.Sometimes you buy a bunch of them for your household, but after some time it goes bad, so you need to throw it away. Let’s be honest; nobody likes to waste food.But, it doesn’t have to be this way.
What can you do? We offer you a perfect solution to preserve this delicious food. You just need one high-quality dehydrator, and you can start drying your fruit!They are a perfect snack, crunchy and sweet. Dried banana chips are typically eaten with chocolate and nuts or as a snack. Ass you might assume, it is very healthy because it is made from fruit.Bananas are considered soothing for bowels and irritable, upset stomach. This fruit is also an excellent source of potassium. Use it as an energy snack, especially after exercise.During a workout, your body will lose a lot of minerals and vitamins. But, if you eat a banana after the physical activity it will replace vitamins such as C and B6, and it will help you keep going. You surely notice bikers and runners who always eat a banana after some big race.
In this article, we will show you the best dried banana chips recipe. Stay with us and learn to dry fruit as a professional. If you want to know more all you have to do is read on.
Benefits of Banana Chips
First of all, these chips make for a convenient snack for your whole family. It benefits your health and nourishes your body as it contains many essential nutrients. But, you need to be careful not to consume it too much, because there are some disadvantages.The first benefit we will talk about is the fiber content. It controls your blood sugar level, lowers your blood cholesterol and prevents constipation. Consuming food rich in fiber helps prevent some types of cancer and some disease.A crucial mineral that benefits your health is iron which is included in the banana chips. This mineral helps form two proteins, myoglobin, and hemoglobin, which provide oxygen to your tissues. It is an excellent support for your metabolism because it activates enzymes for that and to produce energy your cells need to carry out the chemical reactions.Banana chips include potassium which controls your blood pressure, maintain your body’s fluid balance, aids in muscle contraction and help your nerves communicate. Due to potassium deficiency, you can develop constipation, fatigue, and nausea. But consuming these chips will help you to prevent that.
When choosing a banana, you should always pick the firm ripe one. When it is too soft, it’s hard to become crisp. That is why it is essential to buy the right ones that will dry properly.
1. In a large bowl place gallon of water and add one tsp. Food grade citric acid or four tsp. Lemon juice. That way you will prevent chips from darkening during storage and drying.
2. When you are slicing the fruit, you need to make sure that it is ¼ inches thick. After you have done that, place them into the water you previously prepared. Stir well and leave it to soak for about ten minutes. After you have drained it, put it on the dehydrator’s trays.
3. Make sure there is enough space between each slice, so it is adequately dried. The idea is that the chips need to be nice and crispy. Set the temperature for 135 degrees and leave it to dry for about ten to twelve hours.
4. Always try before you remove it from the dehydrator. That way you will achieve that perfect taste you are looking for when it comes to banana chips.
NOTE: Some dehydrators are much faster than the others, so makes sure to see the manual and determine how many hours you will need to dry your fruits and what temperature should you set on your unit? If you are looking for super crunchy chips, first you need to fry the slices in oil and after that place them in the dehydrator or an oven to dry them out.
5. After you have removed it from the dehydrator, let it rest for about 15 minutes. When they are cool, you can store it in the zip lock airbag or an airtight container. If you prefer you could also use a freezer bag if you want to place it in your freezer.
6. Know that when you put the banana chips in a fridge or a cold dark area, the quality of it will last longer.
Some Interesting Banana Facts
“There are almost 1,000 varieties of bananas, according to the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO). Botanically, there is no difference between plantains and bananas. But in general use, “banana” refers to the sweeter form of the fruit, which is often eaten uncooked, while “plantain” refers to a starchier fruit that is often cooked before eating.Ecuador is the leading producer of bananas worldwide, followed by the Philippines. Bananas are produced in other tropical and subtropical areas of Asia, Africa, and the Americas, as well as the Canary Islands and Australia. Wild bananas grow throughout Southeast Asia, but most are inedible for humans, as they are studded with hard seeds.” according to Live Science.
One of the most reliable ways of drying bananas at home is with the food dehydrator. The texture will preserve more natural flavor, and it will be more like fruit leather. Drying is an efficient way to store the fruit with little loss of vitamins and minerals, especially if you have an abundance of bananas.It is a simple and fast method which will provide a perfect snack for your whole family. The best thing is that it is rich in nutrients and low in calories.